MUSEUM & HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The museum is housed in the former quarters of Engine 23 and Truck 14. The facility is open on the first Sunday of each month from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Admission is free and donations are graciously accepted. To schedule a private visit please contact the telephone number listed above.
The Society was founded in 1981 and is a Wisconsin tax-exempt organization. Membership is open to all. In addition to the preservation of Milwaukee Fire Department equipment and artifacts, we also function as a fire education entity.
The firehouse was constructed in 1927 and remained an active station until 1995 when both fire companies moved to a new location at 2130 West Oklahoma Avenue. The Society was able to procure the vacated station and renovate the interior to satisfy current building codes. The entire interior decor is much the same as that of 1927 with many displays being original artifacts. Portions of the exterior were restored as to reflect the original facade and architectural design. In 2001, a resolution was passed by the Milwaukee Common Council designating this “Bungalow Style Firehouse” as a local historical site.
Among the exhibits include an 1800’s working fire alarm telegraph system, functional 1920’s firehouse kitchen, original furniture, furnished personal lockers, and a host of firefighting equipment and memorabilia, and a library.
To augment the interior furnishings, several fire trucks are on display. We are very proud to have two original pieces of apparatus built in the Milwaukee Fire Repair shops. A 1927 “MFD” pumper and a 1930 “MFD” city service truck have been beautifully restored to original condition. Also on display is a 1942 Pirsch pumping engine, assigned to Engine Company 1. In addition, we are currently restoring former Ambulance 1, a 1947 Cadillac, which when completed will be added to our apparatus collection. All four vehicles provided many years of service to members of the department and community.
The Society is governed by a seven-person volunteer board who serve a four-year rotating term. We have a President, Recording Secretary, and Treasurer along with four board members. We are always seeking new members or interested organizations. If interested in becoming a part of this unique group, please contact 414-286-5272 (voice machine) for additional information.